Wednesday 9 December 2015

Miss Miller - Photoshoot

Pictures had to be taken to demonstrate basic camerawork skills and techniques. Also, we needed to gather photographs which we took ourselves so they we are not infringing with any copyright laws for when we went to gather images for our work. This work consisted of our individual magazine adverts and digipak adverts more so. The images which we took were needed for this reason so that they could be used throughout our individual magazine adverts and digipaks, to allow for the artist to be shown in a likable and appealing light towards our target audience.

Taking a variety of pictures is essential. This is as it allows for a diverse viewing experience. The most important reason for within my group and I's media project was so that we could have different images for each of us. This is as we had to take different pictures based upon which each individual group member wanted to have in their digipaks and magazine adverts, so that the portrayal of the artist and certain themes/ feelings was shown in whatever light they visualized their work to be like. Therefore taking a variety of pictures is essential so that each group members ideas are being expressed through the pictures taken, and that their is less overlap between group members work, and provides evidence for the independent work carried out.


This is the first image which I took of my groups artist. I have taken this picture in particular as I believe that it could be used in a number of different ways, so it would be a safe option for a number of elements in my work. Although saying this, I took this picture in mind to ideally include within my digipak, more specifically for the last slide of it where the songs list is shown. I believe that this picture is conventional to the indie genre for a number of reasons. Firstly, the setting of the image is based around a suburban field and lake, which is a location that fans of the indie genre would expect to find within a digipak. Secondly, my artist can be seem playing a guitar, which in itself is a commonly used convention within the indie genre. I think this picture is good because of its versatility with how I could have used it within my digipak. Another reason is that it is a very indie image; including a number of conventions from within the genre, so that the viewer and target audience may appreciate the image and find it appealing for this reason. I think this will help my audience create a relationship with my artist. This is as the artists representation within the image might be appealing, as he is shown in a down to earth light. This is achieved through the use of an everyday setting, so the audience might find the artist to be a more relatable individual because of this. Alongside this, the audience might be able to build a relationship with the artist as he is shown as being very indie like, and representing the genre through his representation and the conventions within the image, therefore the niche target audience of fans of the indie genre would be able to relate towards my artist and the representation of him.


My second image I have taken is of the money basket my groups artist uses to busk with throughout my music video. I have taken this picture in particular because it has a lot of significance towards the portrayal of themes within my group and I's music video, and is important towards the portrayal of our artist. This is as it helps to further emphasis the struggle which he goes through throughout the video. I intend upon using this image within my digipak as one of the artwork pieces within it, being a standalone image as I believe it has more of an impact upon the viewer this way, as the focus is purely upon the money basket and that alone. I believe its conventional to the indie genre. This is as the image itself evokes the theme of struggle for our groups artist, and within the indie genre a number of different themes and values are often expressed throughout the content. Although shallow focus has been used so that the main focus is upon the money basket, it is conventional also due to the background seen within the image, as the photograph was taken in Liverpool Street, in London. This is a urban setting, and is commonly seen throughout the indie genre, as it is a everyday setting which many would be able to relate towards seeing. I think this image is good for both the camerwork/ quality of the image and shallow focus, but mainly for what the photo represents and its purpose towards my groups artist and the audience. For this reason I believe it does in fact enable the audience to be able to build a relationship with my artist. This is as the image evokes the theme of struggle demonstrated with my artist, which the audience might either appreciate or emphasis with. Because of this, if the audience feels bad for the artist because of the struggle he shows, they'll be able to create a relationship as they might be able to relate towards his situation, due to their own personal struggles. Another way in which the niche target audience might be able to form a relationship could be through the conventions within the photo, more specifically the background of the urban setting. This creates a down to earth and everyday portrayal of the artist, as well as showing how he represents the indie genre, which fans of the indie genre will appreciate, and due to this might take a liking to the artist for that reason also. 


My third image which I took is of my groups artist once again. I took this image in particular as I wanted to get an image of my artist looking ready to play his guitar amongst an urban setting, due to its connection between the genre, and also its potential versatility with its purpose and how I could use it. I did have one idea in mind as to how I was gonna use this image, and that was to have it as being the cover of my magazine advert, as well as the first page within my digipak. I believe that this image is very conventional to the indie genre. This is for three reasons/ conventions in particular. Firstly, the most straight forward convention which can be seen is that of the guitar in the photograph, which my artist can be seen holding. The next convention present within the image is the clothing of the artist, as he can be seen wearing all black clothing, and urban brands such as Adidas trainers. The last convention in the photograph is the urban setting where it was taken, more specifically the brick wall which the artist can be seen leaning against. All three conventions stated are commonly seen throughout the indie genre, and help towards giving an indie like portrayal towards the artist. For this reason, I think its good as it helps towards creating a very indie like representation for the artist, which the niche target may find appealing, which would be the result of the conventions within. For this reason I think it will help the audience build a relationship with the artist. This is as he is shown as being a down to earth individual through the use of the urban settings in the background, so the target audience might see him as being a relatable individual. Because of this, a relationship is likely to be built as the niche target audience will identify the indie conventions throughout and how my groups artist is portrayed because of this, and because he is shown as being down to earth individual they'll be able to relate to his character and the elements seen throughout.



The fourth image which I took is of my groups artist again, showing a direct mode of address. I took this image in particular as I wanted a picture of my artist showing a direct mode of address towards the audience, while having the guitar case in the frame. I intend upon using this image within my digipak, where I will dissolve the image of my artist onto the personal message written by the artist towards the audience. I believe this image is conventional to the indie genre as within the frame, a number of various different conventions can be seen. As mentioned previously, the first convention which can be seen is that of the guitar case besides the artist. The next convention present within the image is the clothing of the artist, as he can be seen wearing a black coat; black being a commonly used colour within the indie genre. The last convention in the photograph is the suburban setting of a field. All three conventions are commonly seen within the indie genre, and help towards the portrayal of the artist and in turn his appeal towards the target audience. I think the photograph is good because the quality of the image is high, and it has a number of potential uses. For the context which I am going to use it, it is good as it is going to have the artists facial expression to be clearly visible alongside the text of the thank you message, which is important towards the portrayal of the artist towards the viewer. For this reason I think this image helps the audience build a relationship between my artist. This is as having the artists direct mode of address of him showing his face to the audience, paired alongside the personal message, it will allow for a more "personal" feel towards the image and general portrayal of the artist towards his audience. Because of this personal like element created from this, alongside the relatable setting within the image, the artist will be shown as being an individual who is down to earth and relatable towards his audience. This makes him come across in a generally more likable way, due to his ordinary like portrayal, as it connotes to the audience that he cares a lot about his fan base, and appreciates their presence and support. This allows for the audience to feel as if the artist is directing them and just them, allowing for a relationship to be built throughout the visuals. 

I found taking pictures for my photo shoot a relatively stress free process.  This was as once my group and I established a time where we could take photographs just for the purpose of the magazine advert, as well as our individual digpaks. I feel that we particularly done well with capturing the urban settings which would be commonly seen throughout the indie genre, and while doing so creating an image of our music artist which is appealing towards our niche target audience of fans of the indie genre. I feel as if the overall quality of the images came out well, and that the lighting and imagery throughout mimics the feelings which many would associate with the indie genre, and example being the eerie lighting and cloudy sky of the images of the artist in the field. I feel as if we struggled with finding other potential locations to take the photographs. This is as we couldn't find an a more urban location (similar to that seen within the music video) which was suited towards getting images of our artist, with exception of the picture of the money box. I feel as if this would have helped towards getting more diverse backgrounds within the images taken. We also struggled with getting images on prior occasions to the last photo shoot which we dedicated solely towards just gathering images oppose to doing some filming in the process. This was either related towards having some issues with the camera, or having lighting issues, which we over came by gathering pictures at a different time and day. An example of this can be taken from the last image seen within my group and I's music video, where our artist is sitting on his doorstep with his head in his hands, which we originally wanted to get a picture of for our digipaks, although this was scraped due to lighting restrictions as the photos were too dark. 

Overall, the images do help towards giving a certain portrayal towards the artist. This portrayal mainly consists of emphasizing the struggles demonstrated by the artist. One image in particular where this is evident and used purely for this purpose is of the image of the moneybox, where the shallow focus of the image is upon just the money basket and how little money is there. The artist also gives off the general representation of caring about his fan base, and being demonstrated as a down to earth individual which the audience may be able to relate towards. This is evident within the image where the artist can be shown with a direct mode of address towards the camera, as it helps towards creating a more personal connection between the viewer. The artist is also shown as being someone who represents the indie genre, as throughout the images a large number of conventions can be seen throughout. Overall, the way in which the artist is shown is done to directly appeal/ target the niche target audience of fans of the indie genre, while doing so helping his down to earth/ relatable persona enable for a relationship to be built between the audience. 

As both the magazine adverts and digipaks of my groups were individual, taking a large number of photographs was an essential element towards our photo shoot. This is as we had to take photos based upon every individual group members ideas/ inspirations, which they wished to include throughout there work. Although as my fellow group members may have an overlap in images for the odd photograph, we have insured that they have been used in a different content and way, so that they are representative of whatever vision and idea each individual intended upon using them. 


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have provided a sound analysis of your photoshoot, clearly explaining what your thoughts were when taking each picture and where you intended to use them and why. You have thought about some connotations and the overall genre conventions. You could elaborate on the hidden meanings of some of the images more

    You need to:
    1) Think more about connotations of the image and the hidden messages
    2) Check SPAG

    ReplyDelete